10 Components of Complete Fitness


CrossFit workouts train your body in all 10 of these components of complete fitness:
Cardiovascular/Respiratory Endurance- The ability of the body systems to gather, process, and transport oxygen.
Stamina- The ability of the body to process, store, deliver, and utilize energy.
Strength- The ability of a muscular unit, or combo of muscular units to apply force.
Flexibility- The ability of maximizing range of motion at a given joint.
Power- The ability of a muscular unit, or combo of muscular units to apply maximum force in minimum time.
Speed- The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
Agility- The ability to minimize transition time between one movement pattern to another.
Coordination- The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
Balance- The ability to control the placement of the bodies’ center of gravity in relation to its’ support base.
Accuracy- The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.

"Failure"

Sunday, June 1, 2008

East Coast Crossfit Challenge




All, I have to say is WOW! If you have never been to one of these events and want to see some amazing athletes, you need to go! Around 65 competitors gathered in Albany NY over the weekend to participate in the event. Day 1 was the Crossfit total, and a 5k (flat, yeah ok) trail run, and day to the a Hopper (impossible by the way! lol)
So, we all gather to start the Total and I must say, some amazing amounts of weight were put up! The girls were very amazing, squatting up around 225, 2 getting 100 in the press, Tanya Wagner the girl who would be the over-all winner pulling 300 lbs in the dead lift! Are you kidding me? 300! No joke.
The men followed right along in impressive fashion, with numbers in the 400's for squat, 200's for press and 3 guys hitting the 500+ mark! Joey from Va Beach hit 500, Dan had the biggest lift of the day (and he made it look easy) pulling 525 on his last dead! But, probably the most impressive feat was Jeremy Ficsher (177 lbs) pulling 520 lbs in the dead! And he actually led after this event with and impressive total of 1080 lbs! Jesus!
My best friend Eric and I did fairly well for our 1st time coming in with 800 and 865 totals respectively. Eric finished 2nd in his weight class for the Total! That was awesome!
Then on to the 5k in the afternoon, which was the only 30 mins of the day the sun came out and it was obnoxiously humid! And that really sucked! The girls again were very impressive, winning with a very fast 19 min run, and my boy Alex (from Boston) taking the top spot for the guys at just over 20 mins. This launched him into 2nd place in the overall for the end of day 1, just behind John Alanis (the ex-Army Linguist) was was very fast for a large dude pulling up 2nd place for the men! Running Results. Keep in mind there are a few runners that did not compete in the challenge, Sara Scholl was the first Challenge participant to complete the run and Alex Morrison was the first male to complete it.
http://www.albanyrunningexchange.org/results/searchResultsSQL.php?ID=859
Afterwards, we watched "Fire Fighter Fran" by Fred (Albany) who did and amazing job in finishing in just over 8 mins with an extra 47 lbs of gear on and despite running out of air about 3/4 of the way through, he pushed on. Then came the food. We were blessed with an awesome BBQ meal brought in to us, cracked a few beers about bonded with some great people. I'll never forget the midget stories from the Boston guys, Spider Chicks laughter, Jon searching the net on his iphone for rent-a-midget, and just kicking back (in pain) and enjoying everyones company.
Then came the PAIN! As soon as I found out what the Hopper was going to be early on Sunday morning, I said, wow, I'm not sure anyone will finish! And NO ONE did! LOL...so here it is...
1000k row
5rnds
21 95 lb Sumo Dead Lift High Pulls
15 Burpess
9 95 lb Thrusters
cut off 20 mins...

There were only 7 guys and I think 1-2 girls to even make it into the 5th round at all. The farthest anyone got was 4 thrusters away from finishing, which was truly amazing! I challenge anyone to try this WOD and report back. If you finish in less then 20, I want to see the video!
After everyone was done it was unclear who the men's winner would be, and it was time to crunch the numbers!
I will post the official results as soon as they are available, but John Alanis held on to the number 1 spot for the men, and our 300 lbs dead girl Tanya Wagner won the women over!

As for me, I did ok...
Total
185 Press (10# PR)
275 Squat (Tied PR)
405 Dead (30# PR)

865 Total
22:57 5k
4 full rnds Hopper

I had the heaviest press in the 198 lb and below groups, only getting beat by the big boys there, and not by much. You guys better watch out, I'll be above 200 soon enough! Squats, I killed myself mentally because my 2nd attempt at 265 was wobbly cause I was too far backward coming up, so I only went up 10 lbs for my 3rd lift. Then I hammered the 275 with no trouble (by keep form strict) and could have gone to 285 at least if not 295! I was very happy with my dead, I felt very strong, but again, played the game wrong. I got 405 on my 2nd lift, and let me ego get to me a little and shot for 430 on the 3rd lift. This would have gotten me to 890 overall...well, I missed it, but I gotta tell ya, it was only by about 2 inches, and I have the pics and vid to prove it! 430 is well within reach, and from there 450 and on to the shoot for 500!!!
After the total I was in 28th place. Finished the 5k in 22:57, not a PR, and definitely not my best. The combo of being tired and the humid sun got to me a little, but I still managed to make it up to 17th place after day 1.
As I explained, the Hopper was Hell! I finished 4 full rnds, and the 9th thruster came in right on the final second of the 20 mins! I tied in this event with 2 others in 8th place, and moved myself into a 14th place overall finish, and only about 7 points from top 10!
All and all, I had the most amazing, competitive, friendly, weekend in a long time. I made many new friends from Crossfits all over the east coast and now have a broad family to stop in and train with anytime!
To all who came and competed, volunteered, or just watched, thank you for a great weekend, keep training hard and can't wait to do it again! Eric, thanks for killin it with me, your total was amazing for a 165 lb man, and even though you had a little trouble on the run, you finished strong on the Hopper! Thanks for the support, and you are going to kill it next year man!!!
Check out Albany Crossfit for some pics and results...and more info, and if you have myspce, I posted a ton of pics...



Here is me missing, yes, really bad form, and I missed 430 deadlift by a few inches!

And here is Dan, with the lift of the day, 525 lb deadlift!

No comments: