10 Components of Complete Fitness


CrossFit workouts train your body in all 10 of these components of complete fitness:
Cardiovascular/Respiratory Endurance- The ability of the body systems to gather, process, and transport oxygen.
Stamina- The ability of the body to process, store, deliver, and utilize energy.
Strength- The ability of a muscular unit, or combo of muscular units to apply force.
Flexibility- The ability of maximizing range of motion at a given joint.
Power- The ability of a muscular unit, or combo of muscular units to apply maximum force in minimum time.
Speed- The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
Agility- The ability to minimize transition time between one movement pattern to another.
Coordination- The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
Balance- The ability to control the placement of the bodies’ center of gravity in relation to its’ support base.
Accuracy- The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.

"Failure"

Saturday, August 16, 2008

If You Are Going To Beat Me...You Are Going To Have To Suffer!

Finished up the Tactical Electronics class this week. It was definitely cool but a little above my head for some of it. The last 2 days were sweet. We learned the very, very basics of bypassing car alarms, house alarms, and hot wiring older cars. LOL, watch out if you have and older vehicle, I might just move it on you! Just kidding, but I can see how alot of this stuff could come in handy in our line of work. Next week I'm off to Germany to play GI Joe with the army. It's going to be like a big camping trip with a bunch of retards! The training we get should be very good though. We are running just like it is the real thing, full up gear and weapons. I'm looking forward to it, it will be the 1st time I get to be all decked out like this is really my job. I hope to get a few pics, so we will see.

As for CrossFit, the last 3 days were good. I can tell I'm still not acclimated to the climate here. It's very hot, but not real humid, but I can tell my performance suffers slightly from it. It's kinda hard to tell since I have not really been going head-to-head with anyone, but in knowing how my body functions, I fell a little weaker and slower. Not really sure how true this is...

I'm trying to get to the CrossFit Level 1 Cert in Manchester England September 13-14th. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to go, since the command is trying to get another school or something for me, but I don't know what it is yet.

WOD's: "Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort."

Thursday August 14th

As many rounds as you can in 20 mins of:

10 OHS 70#
10 KB Swings 53#
7 Pull-ups

10 onds + 5 OHS...I had not done a 20 minute WOD in awhile so this one was fun. Well, not fun, OHS are never fun, but they are awesome! For all of you who only do back squats (cause you are a globo gymer and lift BIG weight! lol) you must get good at these. They are a total body workout: forearms, traps, tris, shoulders, traps, back, abs, and of course legs! You don't even know until you try them! Do it.

Friday August 15th

Warm-up: 500m Row

3 rounds for time of:
9-15-21

Push Press 155#
SDHP 90#
Double Unders

11:44...This WOD took me a lot longer then I though it would when I made it up. I reversed the order of the reps to play around a little, doing it as a met con workout, but with heavier weight. Working to concept (Friday's word of the day!) of moving more weight over a shorter time. Obviously this is the formula for more power. Power=force x distance / time. I think by incorporating these types of WOD's and more Oly Lifts into my regimen my power output must go up exponentially.

These section from Brendan G.'s Blog says a lot: We get really caught up in making our workouts go faster and faster to rate our progress. I love measuring our power output ( Force distance time) to rate the intensity of what we do but for some reason we seem to get stuck on only decreasing our time to keep moving forward. Training only by this method is a mistake. Its a mistake because all though yes our power increases with going faster there will come a time when we can no longer go any faster and the only way to keep pushing is to either increase the load and or the distance. Not to mention that by avoiding these we miss out on building more straight up raw strength, mobility, and athleticism.

I want to bring up that we need, as crossfit athletes, to sometimes let go of the get faster and faster with the exact same loads and ROM's attitude. We need to think about the importance of going heavier and running through even bigger ranges of motion. Yes intensity as a whole will increase your strength so yes getting faster at Fran will get you stronger as well as more conditioned but nothing will get you stronger than applying more load to your workouts. We are always trying to add more weight to our heavy lifting days but when it comes to our circuit and interval training we only seem to concern ourselves with how fast we go.

Saturday August 16th

5 rounds of:
21-18-15-12-9

KB Swings 35#
Squats
KTE

Perform sets as follows: 21/21/21-18/18/18...and so on...

6:15...Powered through this WOD with no stopping and no break in sets. Felt good. KTE are always a killer, everyone should do more of them! Fun met con type workout, will definetly do this one again in the future.

Sunday August 17th


REST DAY


Wait…I forgot. There is no REST in Combat. Please do NOT ever say again that the 35lb Kettlebell is heavy…

Given your fitness ability today, could you survive in Combat? (From www. teamcrossfitacademy.com)

No comments: